During April, Illinois REALTORS® offered resources that explained the history behind the need for fair housing in the United States. In May and beyond, you can keep the conversation going by using some of the tools listed on our Diversity & Inclusion web page.
Here are six ideas to consider when you’re interacting with family, neighbors, friends and colleagues:
- Read “The Color of Law,” “Sundown Towns” or “The South Side.” Watch the video “Segregated by Design.”
- Try the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) online simulation program, “Fairhaven” and see how you would react to discriminatory behavior while trying to close real estate deals.
- Complete continuing education courses, “At Home With Diversity” and “DIVERSITY: Your Kaleidoscope of Clients.”
- Learn to recognize and correct your own implicit bias through the training, “Overcoming Implicit Bias.”
- Urge your brokerage to apply for an Illinois REALTORS® Diversity & Inclusion Grant and use the customized training available from one of five recognized diversity trainers.
- Spread the word about the expansion of the Illinois Minority Real Estate Scholarships that we offer in partnership with the Illinois Real Estate Education Foundation (REEF).
Once you’ve exhausted these ideas, refer back to our Diversity & Inclusion page for links to more resources.