In June, Illinois REALTORS® will honor the accomplishments of members of the LGBTQ+ community.
LGBTQ+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning.
Here are four ways you can show your support during PRIDE month:
- Join the LGBTQ+ Real Estate Alliance. Expand your network and support real estate associations in Illinois like the Alliance.
- Read about LGBTQ+ history. Find books about the Stonewall Riots, the assassination of Harvey Milk in San Francisco, visit the GLAAD and “Facing History & Ourselves” websites for more information.
- LGBTQ crisis Intervention. As a result of young people struggling with mental health issues related to LGBTQ+ issues, communities are finding suicide prevention resources and more through websites and hotlines. Learn about the Trevor Project, oSTEM, GLSEN and more.
- Attend an event. Here’s a sampling of several LGBTQ+ celebrations planned throughout Illinois this month. Go online for more information if you don’t see something local:
- June 13 – PRIDE St. Louis Drag Brunch – The doors at Ballpark Village open at 10 a.m., with multiple performances between noon and 3 p.m. from several queens, Rehab Divas and more. Tickets start at $20 per person, and each ticket includes a complimentary themed cocktail. Hosted by FOX Sports Midwest Live!
- June 17 – Lyte Happy Hour Fundraiser: Chicago Pride Edition – Join the Chicago chapter of the LGBTQ+ Real Estate Alliance at the Wood Restaurant. Tickets are $50. Food and drinks will be served from 5-8 p.m.
- June 25-27 – The Southern II Pride Fest is designed to foster acceptance and affirmation of the LGBTQ+ community in southern Illinois and provide a network of care and support. Events include the Drag Show with Blanche DuBois, the Conversion Therapy Dropout Network Fundraiser featuring Claire Killman, musical performances by Jenni and The Housewives and the Deciders, as well as a Pride Drive-Thru Care-avan.
- June 26 – Second Annual Pride in the Park Picnic & Concert – The Northwest Illinois Pride Network hosts this free event from noon to 6 p.m. at Krape Park in Freeport.
- June 26-27 – PRIDE in the Park – The fest in Chicago’s Grant Park with feature national and local music acts, ranging from EDM to hip hop/rap to 80s hits to pop. Admission is $75 to $210, with children under 10 years old free with a paying adult. Gates open at 1 p.m. and close at 10 p.m.